Sunday, August 31, 2008

Portraits In The Rain

It rained yesterday! I tipped 14mm from the gauge this morning. It was needed.
During a couple of lulls between rain periods last night, I took my camera for a bit of a walk around the traps!

(Click to enlarge)


This is Neobatrachus sudelli (Common Spadefoot Toad) You can see how common this one is because it's wearing some dinner on its head! :-) The loose skin along the side of the body to the knee is characteristic of this species as well as the vertical pupil and absence of tibial glands. Also, there appears to be a mite-like insect in the l/h side of the eye. Males of this species generally call from February to November.



Here we have Limnodynastes dumerili (Pobblebonk or Banjo Frog) I expected to see more than one of this common species. Males call almost all year round, but they have been a bit quiet here, so far.

Apart from Litoria Ewingi, I've been listening to Limndynastes tasmaniensis (Spotted Marsh Frog) calling with its distinct kuk-kuk-kuk or a sound like two stones being hit together. Also, Ranidella signifera (Common Froglet) which has the typical crik crik crik crik call. I actually found one under a log when I was doing a bit of fencing down on the dam the other day. Of course, the camera was NOT in the Ute!! :-)

6 comments:

Mosura said...

Great frog pics. I'm hearing a lot lately but not seeing them. We get the Banjo frogs at my place.

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks, Mosura. The Banjos are good value. This one didn't appreciate my need to look at his belly last night! :-) He hopped off (in the direction of Frog Dam) quick smart!

Duncan said...

Ripper frog pictures JL, I can hear them but never see them!

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Duncan, it's too cold right now to have much of a frog watch on Frog Dam but when the weather warms up a bit, I might see what I can find.

Gouldiae said...

Nice stuff JL, G'day.
How do you spot them? I sat quietly for ages in a gully once, listening to an incessant frog call. I crept forward until I was within millimetres from the rock where the call was emanating from. The call stopped and I gently turned over every rock within a metre radius and came up blank. The moment I shouldered the camera and turned away, It started again - from the exact same spot!
Regards, Gouldiae

Junior Lepid said...

Hello Gouldiae,

These ones made themselves pretty obvious targets, taking up residence in my garden! :-) I know what you mean though. I've had absolutely no success trying to see who's doing the croaking on the dam! They just need to see a shadow and they become silent. It's been too wet to sit out there and try and mimic the calls. As yet, I haven't gone to the trouble of buying a tape recorder to record and play back the calls and hone in on one who is answering!