Wednesday, August 27, 2008

August Fungi No. 9

This little collection might be the last for August. Even with the promise of rain on Saturday, the sites have dried out considerably.


This one is not in its natural situation!
It was one of a colony of about 4 growing
in the open amongst unimproved pasture dominated
with onion grass. I didn't have my camera
with me so I brought it home!
Cap width 3cm
Height: 4cm.
The only thing I could find to come close was
Psilocybe subaeruginosa - except for one detail.
It did not stain blue when I handled it or bruised it!

Well, I have no idea what I have here!
It was a minute blob to the naked eye
and this photo does it no justice. (I have
made a note to myself to take more than
a couple of shots of stuff as small as this!)
I'm not sure if it belongs to the Tremella family
or is actually a slime mould.

These two are growing in my garden very
close to Poa. I first noticed them last year
but that was before I seriously took an interest
in photographing fungi.
Cap width: 6cm
Height: 12cm

Gill colour was actually white.
This is what happens when you
try to photograph gills without
upending the fungus! :-)




2 comments:

Mosura said...

Another interesting selection.

The fungi season may be ending but the moths will be back with a vengeance soon enough.

In regard to photographing the gills, does your camera allow you to adjust the flash intensity. If so, just a little burst of flash will light it up nicely.

Junior Lepid said...

I could have used burst, but I didn't with that one, Mosura. :-)

Some fungi fruit all year - so all is not lost and you are right, the moths will soon be back in town - as will the butterflies!