Thursday, August 7, 2008

August Fungi

I've become obsessed with this little bracket type
fungi. This is looking down at it. The largest of the
fans is 1.5cm in width.

(Click to enlarge)


13th August, 2008. Thanks to Fungimap, the
identity of this fungus is probably Pycnoporus coccineus.

This is how the orange blob on the other
side of the branch is progressing.




Yesterday, I took Duncan's advice and went searching for some orchids. I didn't find any, but I found some more fungi!

All these have caps of 1cm or less.

With some reasonable rain, the substrate is quite mossy now.

(Click images to enlarge)

Galerina hypnorum



Possibly Mycena austrofilopes



I thought this one might be Curry Punk
(Piptoporus australiensis) but I'm not so sure
now. It's only tiny, growing on fallen branch.

It didn't give off a strong 'curry' smell when
I was up close taking the photograph. This one
may require a return visit.



This was growing on the opposite side of
the same branch as the one above.


Unknown.

4 comments:

Mosura said...

Oh ...so you have trouble finding orchids too. Glad it's not just me :-) Some nice finds in any case.

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks, mosura. It was worth the walk just for the fungi! :-)

It still may be a bit early here for orchids. There's another spot where I've found greenhoods previously (in October). I might have to give that site a working over!

Duncan said...

I reckon the tiny fungi are charming JL, can be very elegant.

Junior Lepid said...

I agree, Duncan. I've just been collating my records up to August and I've managed 40 individual sightings since May. Some do not appear on the blog. Hopefully, they will get their chance next year (with better photos)! :-)