Friday, August 22, 2008

August Fungi No. 7

Another fungi safari successfully executed today!

This one was really interesting. The naked eye saw a velvet
sheen to this fungus.

It was growing amid substrate litter.

Identification has proved to be yet another challenge! The
only thing coming close is Gloeophyllum sepiarium, but according
to Bruce Fuhrer's (A field guide to Australian Fungi)
G. sepiarium grows mainly on dead conifer material. There
are no conifers at all in the area I am working. However,
if I'm right with the identification, this one may like
rotting Prickly Acacia! :-)


Gill colour: Cream to brown
Cap width: 2cm
Height: 1cm


Another cofusing species!
Gill colour: White
Cap appears to be cylindrical
Cap width: 1.5cm
Height: 2cm


Stem hollow.
This species was growing in moss.
(Homework needed but possibly Coprinus sp!)

Yep, I found me some "Yellow Brain" !
Tremella mesenterica.
This species is on Fungimap's Target Species
list, so this will also be added to my report.
Although this Coral appears to be much lighter
in colour than the one I found a couple of days
ago, I think it's probably the same species:
Ramaria ochraceosalmoncolor and the time of
day may have influenced my camera's eye! :-)




1 comment:

Mosura said...

Very nice shot of the Ramaria,

Call me the Straw Man but I haven't found a brain yet.... (goes of whistling)