Sunday, August 10, 2008

August Fungi No. 2

UPDATE:

Here's another similar puff to the one
I posted earlier. These have a root system.
This one was about 2cm diameter.


Here's what it looked like in cross-section.
The black bits are dirt I transferred whilst
performing the operation.

Almost good enough to eat with a dab of butter! :-)



Here's the innards of the one below.
It took me a while to find it, but I managed!




Yesterday, I braved the cold wind to check out some local wildflowers. I found a few but I'm having a bit of a problem identifying one of them! :-) Well, we know there's nothing out of the ordinary there!

No orchids, yet.

However, I was delighted to find this little patch of
Omphalina chromacea on a bank about 25 metres
from my property.

(Click to enlarge)

According to "Fungimap" this fungus and
a green alga have a relationship akin to
lichens.


This Puff was interesting. Quite a fleshy mouth.
It's about 3cm diameter and if I can find it again
today, I'll do a cross-section. (I didn't have a knife
with me yesterday.)

3 comments:

Mosura said...

That first one is nice. Very interesting about the algal relationship, I hadn't head of that before other than in normal lichens.

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
The second one, the Puff Ball,looks like Lycoperdon scabrum. In that case immature ones would be covered with short spines which disappear as the fruiting body matures. They do not have marks around the "mouth" ("apical pore") as some puff-balls do.
I like the little Omphalinas. Perfect miniatures.
On a different question - do you get Deer where you are? Pls see the reference re Deer in the Grampians (in my "comments") on my current posting.
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Mosura and Denis,

I'll check L. scabrum and thanks for the tip off, Denis. I actually found them again and did a bit of 'mutilation'! I'll post the result shortly.

We mainly have Reds in the Grampians and they are a bit of a tourist attraction. I've not seen deer here in 27 years. I think they do their fair share of damage up there. They are also at Mt. Cole.