Wednesday, September 3, 2008

September Fungi No. 1

Do you ever have one of those days when you and your camera are simply not working as a team? I had one of those days yesterday when I went off to investigate what fungi had emerged since the 22mm rain over the past few days. Half of those I photographed, I had to bin!

(Click images to enlarge)

Two for the price of one, here!
I don't know what the orange
one is. It could be a fruiting lichen. The hairs
around the cups are quite interesting.



Another Bird's Nest.
Crucibulum laeve again, I suspect.



I think these are Entoloma moongum.
Cap width: 2.5cm
Gill colour was whitish/mauve.
Height: 2.5cm



These, I'm sure are Poronia erici.
This species grows on herbivore dung,
particularly, macropod and wombat.
These were on kangaroo dung.
They are very small.



Another Earthstar. Geastrum triplex, I think.



The gills of one specimen belonging to
the colony below, growing on a log.




Another cup fungi. If I'm right with
my identification of Peziza thozetii,
then apparently, this cup fungus is
uncommon. They are normally found
in pine plantations.
UPDATE: (Thanks to Fungimap) This is
actually Aleurina ferruginea. I have photographed
this species previously in a different location at this
site, so it makes sense! :-)

A gilled bracket, possibly
Lentinellus aff. ursinus.
The gills of an older specimen growing
on the same log.
Don't even ask me where photos of the greenhoods I found are!! :-(
I have marked the location and will have another go later in the week. They weren't quite out, anyway.









5 comments:

Mosura said...

Wow - you've been busy. Th orange thing in the first shot and the Poronia erici on the dung are particularly interesting.

Gouldiae said...

G'day JL,
Well, for not 'working as a team' with your camera, you got some beauties I reckon. The variation in fungi seems endless.
Still very, very dry here. Getting to be a worry again actually, although still some time left for a spring break - says he hopefully.
Gouldiae.

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Mosura and Gouldiae,

There's just so much out there, it's amazing.

Gouldiae, even with 22mm, the difference in moisture level between Tuesday and yesterday was quite noticeable. I thought you would have copped some decent rain in the last event! :-(

Anonymous said...

Great fungi pictures..
Very interesting to see what grows in Australia..
I have a blog dedicated to to the same subject.
Please visit:
guildwoodvillagemushrooms.blogspot.com/
Cheers from Canada.

Junior Lepid said...

Thank you, guild-rez.

I will be sure to visit your blog.

We are experiencing serious lack of rain here, but once the autumn rains arrive (hopefully in April,) fungi season will be on again! :-)

Welcome to Australia via the internet, by the way.