Monday, October 5, 2009

Petalochilus ornatus?

UPDATE (2) I received confirmation on my ID from the Department of Sustainability & Environment (DSE). This orchid is Petalochilus ornatus. Furthermore, it is now listed as rare in Victoria and remains vulnerable in other states. The Department is likely to require specimens to be sent to the Herbarium.

There may be a touch of excitement in the air here - but we must remember, I have no idea what I'm doing with this orchid caper!

On my little walk today, I found heaps of what I think were "Pink Fingers" (Petalochilus carnea) but a few looked a bit different from the others although they were growing together. The labellum seemed really red. Remembering Denis' advice regarding some Pterostylis changing as they age, I thought at the time, that's probably what's happening here.

Then I found a dark specimen (top photo)

On Colin's Orchid site, I discovered Petalochilus ornatus (Ornate Pink Fingers) which has a red labellum; known to be in my area and furthermore, it's vulnerable!

(Click images to enlarge)
Could this orchid be Petalochilus ornatus? If it is, then I would let 'those who need to know' know!
I am very guarded about my orchid locations, but something of significance would probably help ensure my site retains its current classification, protected by the State Government, one would hope!

This was the first one I found today. The petals were paler than the one above and was in a different location.
This specimen was found in the same location as the darker one (1st photo)
UPDATE: Currently awaiting 'phone call from local DSE officer (endangered flora) to confirm/negate my identification of this orchid!


Now for something a bit easier, I think this little pea flower belongs to the prostrate, minute leaved Eutaxia microphylla. These are the first pea flowers I've seen so far this season.


2 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
.
Looks right to me for Pet. ornatus.
.
Pet carnea ought have white sides of the labellum, (the bit which curls up to shield the sides of the column - beside the striped but of the labellum.
.
Technically it is all the one organ - the labellum.
.
Hope you can get confirmation of your find.
.
Glad you have picked this one up. It is a feature of your local area, which is always satisfying to track down. That's how I feel about "my" Bird Orchids. Ultra localised.
.
I think these plants are all the same species (Pet. ornatus) just colour variants thereof. Red sides of the labellum in each case, even when the fingers are variable in their amount of colour, the sides of the labellum are consistently red.

Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thank you, Denis,

I emailed the photos to the DSE officer and hopefully, I should hear something shortly.

As P. ornatus is listed as vulnerable, my site might not have been recorded.

Yes, I understand the buzz when you find something a bit more significant than the norm.

In all the time I've been plodding around on the site, looking for fungi and now the orchids, I've not seen one other person. Can't say I'm disappointed, either! :-)