Saturday, October 10, 2009

Diuris behrii?

I had another good day wandering around yesterday. With the first relatively sunny day for some time, I decided to check my Sun Orchid site again.

There were a number of these Diuris growing and at first glance, I thought they were "Golden Moths" except the stems were quite long.

I photographed a couple of different specimens and after I processed the photos, I compared them to Diuris behrii on Colin's Victorian orchid site, together with a couple of other images I found on the Internet.

(Click images to enlarge)



Diuris behrii is known to grow in Western Victoria.

This was a fantastic find in a different location to the Diuris. A pale form of Glossodia major which was growing through a shrub. To the left of this flower was the normal Wax lip growing through the same shrub.
I understand this pale form is quite uncommon.


The first Kennedia prostrata (Running Postman) I've seen this season.

It looks like another sunny and reasonably still day coming up so I will go for another patrol sometime today. I managed to mow the lawns yesterday, so I reckon I've bought myself a little more 'botany' time! :-)








2 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
I have not seen any of the "golden moths" types of Diuris. A friend has promised me some in the near future on his property near Goulburn.
I cannot work out the subtle differences between them, so I suggest you go on habitat and soil type, and records from the experts.
I have looked at "Jeanes and Backhouse", but I am still mystified as to their differences.
Height of the stem seems to be one feature. D. chryseopsis seems to have more spots than fine veins. But your plant is pretty plain anyway. In a way that makes it harder, not easier.
Certainly you are in the right region for D. behrii
.
Lovely white Glossodia. Yes they are rare.
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Denis,

The ones I'm seeing are growing together (lots of them) on quite long stems. They seem to have rounder lateral petals than D. chryseopsis and longer stems, some probably close to 30cm. Also flowering time - got my first D. chryseopsis early last month. Haven't seen one since.

My gut feeling tells me it's probably D. behrii.