Thursday, October 8, 2009

Petalochilus carnea

Yesterday, I decided to enter my orchid area from a different access point. The purpose of the exercise was to actually check for populations of Petalochilus ornatus (see blog entry 5/10) in a different location. Of the 10 "Pink Fingers" colonies, I found at least 7 of them had 1 to 3 P. ornatus represented.

(Click images to enlarge)




I think this is Petalochilus carnea because of the greenish column and the horizontal red striping on the labellum. Corrections, welcome - as usual!

Here are some wildflowers just starting to bloom. Again, I have no idea what I'm doing but I'll have a stab at identification. Those identifications cited are known to be in my area.


Stackhousia monogyna?

Hibbertia sericea?


Lissanthe strigosa? Leucopogon species? Or Epacris species?

A spikey looking leaf. This was quite a small plant.

5 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
Classic images of P, carnea in this case. Note the white flanges on either side of the Labellum.
.
P ornatus was red or pink there, not white.
.
Stackhousia yes, not sure of Sp.
Epacris sp., definitely not Leucopogon (no beard inside the flower opening).
Lissanthe doesn't fit with ANBG photos.
http://www.anbg.gov.au/photo/apii/id/dig/7370.
Not sure which Epacris.
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks for your help again, Denis.

Stackhousie monogyna is known to be here. It was a tall flower spike - at least 30cm.

I found a few photos of Lissanthe strigosa that seemed to match more closely to those of Epacris, but then again...... :-) I'll check your link. The tubular flowers were no longer than about 1cm at most and it was a small shrub, about 15 to 20cm in diameter and about 15 to 20cm tall. I'll need to find it again for more photos, I think.

Epacris lanuginosa, E. obtusifolia and E.impressa are in the region. E. lanuginosa has prickly leaves, apparently.

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
Well, It isn't Epacris impressa, I know that for sure. I remember that from childhood days.
By the way, as a moth lover, did you notice the dark green caterpillar high up in the image?
I am not familiar with Lissanthe, but did a quick image search. Few images good enough to make a final judgement from. But the botanical texts might help sort it out. The ANBG image looked quite different from your plant. So I'd say Epacris.
Position of anthers and length of style are usually the deciding factors.
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Hello Denis,

Re. caterpillar - um - no! Will have a closer look now!!! I think the botany bug has bitten me badly at the moment!! :-)

I will try and find another plant for further photo opportunity. I saw one yesterday which had a few pink flowers and pinkish colouring on the white flowers but I botched the shots.

Junior Lepid said...

Ha - so there is! Philobota arabella (Oecophoridae) and some Geometrids are on the wing at the moment, but I have no idea who the caterpillar belongs to. Well spotted! :-)