Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Wax-lip and Fringe-lily

Yesterday, I revisited the spot where I found the orchid I posted in bud a few days ago, hoping to find it again. No luck, unfortunately. I did find a few groups of Wax-lips and a single specimen of the Fringe-lily in the general area, so it certainly wasn't a fruitless trip!

(Click to enlarge)

Glossodia major - Wax-lip Orchid.

There was a breeze yesterday so this shot is 'carded'. Placing my clipboard between the subject and the wind is the only way I've come up with to keep the plant relatively still for an acceptable focus, unfortunately.


(Liliaceae) Thysanotus species, I think it's probably Thysanotus patersonii, the Twining Fringe-lily.

I am planning another orchid excursion today in a location several hundred metres from yesterday's site. I'll be looking for more Gnat orchids!

4 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
Well, your Orchid season has well and truly started now with the Glossodia out.
They are lovely, but so shiny they are hard to photograph without "flaring" of light from the petals. Try getting some shade on the flower, or if you have manual settings, go for a slightly higher "F Stop".
I have seen them in bud on Black Mountain, in Canberra.Very hairy buds and leaves. Quite distinctive.
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks for the tip, Denis. I do try for shade - even provided by myself - but they don't always select the best position for photography! Could be the fault of the photographer by choosing the 'wrong' time to go on the hunt!!

I found one Caladenia "Pink Fingers" specimen out the other day, but the flower was damaged.

23mm of rain overnight so I'll be back in the 'jungle' either today or tomorrow looking for slime moulds!! I can assure you eyes will be firmly fixed to the ground!!!

Wishing you well.

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
I was worried, afterwards, that you might have been offended by my unsolicited "advice" on apertures, etc.
Hopefully you didn't mind.
.
I saw my first Glossodia major here in Canberra, yesterday.
Photos will be up in a couple of days, when I am back in Robertson.
.
Big family gathering yesterday, for Dad's funeral, so I have lots of photo processing to do, apart from the Orchids.
Thanks for your well-wishes.
Denis
I have so many photos to process

Junior Lepid said...

Hello Denis,

No - I certainly did not take offence. I welcome all suggestions.

I suspected the funeral may have been yesterday, so my thoughts were with you.

Looking forward to seeing your shots when you get time to sort and post.

I got another Glossodia today, along with a Caladenia/Petalochilus
which will appear here shortly!

All the best,

Jenny