Friday, September 18, 2009

Dusky Caladenia?

A nice walk today after 29mm rain. Plenty of dragonflies and I saw my first skinks for the season.

Now for the hard bit! I think this white example plus the pink one is the Dusky Caladenia (Petalochilus fuscata) and NOT the 'uncommon' Common Caladenia (Caladenia vulgaris) Both species were a bit too alike to my untrained eye!

I spent some time flicking from one species to the other on several internet sites, but I suspect this orchid is Petalochilus fuscata. The stem length would have been about 10 to 12cm, so I would imagine that little detail would clear the matter up in favour of the Dusky Caladenia!

(Click images to enlarge)





Glossoda major again.
Another Pterostylis species. Probably Linguella nana - the Dwarf Greenhood.

Definitely the Twining Fringe-lily, Thysanotus patersonii

Chamaescilla corymbosa - Blue Stars. These delicate flowers are only out for a day.







2 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
.
I am pleased to confirm all your IDs and to congratulate you on the superb photo of the Glossodia. Such a hard colour to capture, and so shiny that it is hard to not be over-exposed on the reflective surfaces.
Well done.
Petalochilus fuscatus flowers significantly earlier than P. vulgaris, as well as being shorter.
Botj ypour Petaliochilus and the Glossodia are just starting up here - (in the cool high country of the Tablelands around Canberra and Goulburn.
I have been away, so I don't know what is in flower in my local area, just now.
Much exploring to be done in the next week.
My Orchid photos will go up tomorrow.
When IDing Greenhoods, it is useful to get several shots - especially of the a part at the front of the "hood" (the "sinus"), and also of the labellum (the tongue which is sometimes visible, sometimes not. Because it is movement sensitive, you need to check for it immediately you find a plant, because if you bump it (the flower), or a stick or bit of grass touches the flower, the labellum will pop back inside the flower. Its shape is often crucial in getting a positive ID.
Also I always take side views and at least one distant shot of the full plant (to show if it has "stem leaves" or not, and a rosette or not).
You may well have done that, and not published them, as they can be "boring", but I recommend taking them, and keeping them for reference purposes, when going through the ID process.
Fortunately, your plant is a perfect match for some of Colin's images. I have never seen that species of Greenhood, but I trust Colin and Mischa's IDs.

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks again, for your assistance, Denis.

Serious orchid photography is a new discipline. I have taken shots of them (specifically the Greenhoods) in situ and not published but I do manage to bump or nudge when getting into position for a shot. I'll have to be more careful in future and try for a labellum shot first.

I really appreciate your help, Denis. Thank you.