Sunday, September 13, 2009

Too Windy.........

......to do anything today, including working in the garden!

Here are a few more orchid shots, a couple a bit better than those I've previously posted.
(Click images to enlarge)

The Nodding Greenhood again (Pterostylis nutans)


Sharp Greenhood (Pterostylis X ingens)


I'll need guidance on this one, but I think they might be the Trim Orchid. But then again...) Note the position of the 'antlers' on the top one. Something didn't turn out quite the way it was supposed to, I'd suspect!


I'm pretty sure this is the Yam Daisy (Asteraceae - Microseris lanceolata) I only found one specimen and the flower was lying on the ground still attached to the stem. Probably something else we can blame on the winds of Spring!

4 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
The top plant in the "trim Greenhood" set is on the way out, and is collapsing.
That's what happens,and it can distort the flower considerably.
The lower flower, with the bulging lateral sepals (in front of where the "points" stick up) is more likely to be diagnostic.
I will check the Jones book later on. Not at home, as my Dad has died, and I am in Canberra. I'll get back to you later.
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks for that, Denis.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I was unaware the greenhood's appearance changes so much as the flower ages.

Take care, Denis. I'm sure your father would be very proud of the tribute you paid.

Denis Wilson said...

hI jl
TRIED TO LEAVE PREVIOUS MESSAGE, BUT GOT INTERRUPTED.
Trim Greenhood does not look right - to me. Pt.concimna is a very neat and tidy flower, and usually very upright. I know you commented on the wind, but...
If you can get several angles and especially a close-up of the front showing the labellum - they often have different shapes, or in the case of Pt. concinna a slight notch in the tip, to make it look forked. it is on such fine details that Greenhoods are distinguished.
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks, Denis.

I will try and find that particular group again. I am inspecting them pretty closely now, since you alerted me to the dying-down stage.

I found a few groups today but it was just too windy to get decent shots. They will have to wait until there's a 'no wind' day, unfortunately.

All the best.