Wednesday, September 9, 2009

More Orchids and Stuff

Today, I explored another area specifically for orchids. As a beginner, I want to familiarise myself with the environment where different orchid species are growing. In this particular spot, there were lots of Dwarf Greenhoods. I found no Nodding Greenhoods nor any other Pterostylis species. However, approximately 200 metres due south-west of this site, I will find the others!

(Click images to enlarge)

It was windy enough today for my face to get a bit burnt. OK - I cheated and used my clipboard to block the wind when photographing the orchids!

In my Field Guide (circa 1975) "Golden Moths or Snake Orchid" is known as Diuris pedunculata but I believe it's now known as Diuris chryseopsis.



Pheladenia deformis.
Help required with identification of this one, please! :-)
I hope I can find it again when it actually opens. It's a very small plant growing in the open.
Just to maintain some balance, here is a very common weed species, Oxalis purpurea. I've included it because of it's delightful colour.




2 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
3 out of 3 are species I have never seen. Jealous!
The Blue Beards are spectacular.
The one about to open looks likely to be Cyrtostylis robusta - a Gnat Orchid.
Go to Colin's site - for that species, and then check "old page" for more photos and text.
Clearly they are related to the Acianthus (Midge Orchids) - from the shape of the leaves and general form of flowers.
Hope you can find it again.
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thank you, Denis,

I will certainly check Colin's site again. I must buy a hand-held GPS for these sightings! There were only two plants coming into flower at that particular spot.

Hopefully, we are in for a bit more rain on Sunday. So far, this orchid season is full of promise!