Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Orchids and Stuff!

Orchids are starting to make an appearance here and I found several colonies of what I believe are the Dwarf Greenhoods and one I've not encountered before. I think it might be Corybas species - possibly Corybas diemenicus which is known to this region of Victoria. I also found Caledenia deformis/Pheladenia deformis (Bluebeard Caladenia) today but botched the photos!!

Help - Botany bloggers!! :-)

(Click images to enlarge)

Possibly Corybas diemenicus (Slaty Helmet-orchid)
Rear view of what I think is Pterostylis nana (Dwarf Greenhood)


Ah yes! Acacia paradoxa (I think!!!) Also known as the Hedge Wattle and I spend a lifetime picking the thorns out of my sweater; from my hair; from the back of my neck! This shrub and I have established a love/hate relationship because it is everywhere in various stages of its lifespan in Fungi Country!
Corrections welcome, of course :-)
UPDATE: Thanks to Denis, we have some reclassifications.
Slaty Helmet Orchid now known as Corysanthes incurvus and the Dwarf Greenhood now known as Linguella nana.

2 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
The Corybas group has been revised, and the ones with a more open-mouthed appearance have been reclassified as Corysanthes.
There is some slight confusion in the common names too, between Slaty Helmet Orchid and Stately Helmet Orchid.
I think to your plant is now called Corysanthes incurvus
Slaty Helmet Orchid
See Colin Rowan's Victorian Orchid pages on RetiredAussies.com
http://www.retiredaussies.com/ColinsHome%20Page/Orchids/Corysanthes/Corysanthes%20incurvus.htm
Your Pteropstylis nana lpooks right, but it has been renamed Linguella nana. Right plant though.
Colin and Mischa report it from Brisbane Ranges and Grampians.
http://www.retiredaussies.com/ColinsHome%20Page/Orchids/Linguella/Linguella%20nana%20%20Dwarf%20Greenhood.htm
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thank you Denis, I've bookmarked the site. It's very good and I'm sure will assist me if and when I find more orchids.

The little Slaty Helmets were pretty cute!

My local Field Guide is circa 1975 so that will be 'updated' as I go!

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.