Saturday, September 5, 2009

September 2009 Fungi

This orchid foray caper paid off today! I found a few, but the thrill of the chase was finding my first Morel!

With reasonable moisture over winter and now into Spring, fungi hunting is still in full swing.

(Click images to enlarge)

No. 1. Morchella elata - Black Morel. I came across this fungus in an open area as I was heading back to my vehicle. I did a little dance - I have been looking for these for 2 years!

I reckon half the reason they are scarce on the ground is because macropods might be dining on them! I regularly find eaten fungi and what remains of the stalk renders them unidentifiable.


No. 2 (underside) is Panus fasciatus which was growing on a thick stick.
Decurrent gills and inrolled margin.

Top view. Note the stiff hairs. This one was about 4cm in width.


No. 3 is Coltricia cinnamomea. This photo shows pore surface.

This fungus is known for its satin sheen.
Here's another example of Coltricia cinnamomea. Approximately 2.5cm diameter.
This shot shows the trunk-like structure of the root. It grows on sub-surface wood and tree roots.

No. 4. is an unidentified slime mould. I don't believe it's Fuligo septica. Any help would be gratefully received! :-)

No. 5 might be Psilocybe species. Spore print was dark chocolate.

No. 6 - Aleurina ferruginea. Tiny ones!

No. 7 is Peziza austrogeaster. This one looks as though it's been dusted with icing sugar! This fungus looks like an Earthstar without the puffball. This one would have been about 1.5 to 2cm diameter.











No comments: