Monday, June 29, 2009

June Fungi - 6

Fungi hunting is great fun, don't get me wrong but there is a really frustrating aspect. It drives me mad when I cannot even have a remote stab at an identification! There are several 'head-bangers' in this group, so if anyone out there can help, please do.

(Click images to enlarge)

No. 1.......... Hmmm, a lovely little fungus with veil remnant hanging from the cap rim. This fungus matches none I could find in Fuhrer.
No. 2 Coprinellus species, probably Coprinellus micaceus. This specimen had an abundance of flecking. I found another specimen nearby which was almost identical. My other Coprinellus micaceus were not as textured nor as honey-coloured as this was but they were from a different location and substrate.


No. 3. This one was very frustrating! At first, I thought it was some sort of Cup Fungus. It's obviously stalked, but it might also be a Bird's Nest fungus. I will try to find this one again when I'm out and about next.


No.4. What an interesting little slime mould this is? I'm assuming it's a slime mould; brilliant red colour and looks like a heap of little sausages. This was an afternoon shot and I may have caught it on the change.
UPDATE: Thanks to Denis, I now have a probable identification for this slime mould. Hemitrichia serpula. This one has been recently added to Fungimap's Target Species list, so I will submit my record.
2nd UPDATE: Dr. May does not think this specimen is Hemitrichia serpula! So - it remains unidentified!



No. 5. Chuck a coin up into the air, Cortinarius; Dermocybe - or something entirely different! There was a small colony of these growing in deep, damp litter in a shallow channel. Cap width around 4 to 5cm.


No. 6. May be Dermocybe species. It's obviously got evidence of a veil

No. 7. Again, no idea!! Growing in litter and cap around 4cm diameter.
No. 8. A "Bird's Nest" - Crucibulum laeve
No. 9. A Puffball - Vascellum pratense, I suspect.














3 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
I can help with one - your red sausages. They are known as "Pretzel Fungi" in the vernacular. I do not have a scientific name just now.
I am pretty sure Fuhrer has an illustration of them.
The name is the one that the Sydney Fungal Studies Group uses.
Incidentally, your top image shows lots of those tiny fungus-loving Collembola creatures. They resemble "slaters" or Woodlice: but are closer to "springtails" (without the spring mechanism).
They are a very confusing group of creatures - but interesting, none-the-less.
Cheers
Denis

Gaye said...

What fabulous fungi finds, and I know just how frustrating identifying them is. I am afraid I can not offer any suggestions for your unidentified finds either, but wonderful to view.

Regards
Gaye

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks you Denis and Gaye,

Off to check the Pretzels, Denis.

I regularly visit the Sydney Fungal Studies site- it's been very helpful when looking for stuff that may not be in Fuhrer.

Lots of little critters on many of them, Denis. I did check your suggestion (previously) and agree, they are probably Collembola species.