Thursday, June 11, 2009

June Fungi 4

I'm up to 47 species, give or take a couple of duplications, for the month so far and some of them have been far from easy to identify!

Here is a selection with identifications where possible.

(Click images to enlarge)

No.1 Mycena kuurkacea


No. 2 was growing in my compost and only survived a day. I have no idea what it is.
UPDATE: Thanks to Gaye, I now have an identification. Coprinus species, possibly Coprinus cinereus.


No. 3 Coprinellus micaceus



No. 4 was growing on a block of wood in my woodpile. It might be Conchomyces bursiformis as it is "hoof-shaped" and the gills were white - but I am far from sure!


No. 5 is Stereum hirsutum. The second shot shows how the fruiting body glues itself to the substrate.

No. 6 pending correct identification.

No. 7 is an interesting fungus growing on a piece of bark in my woodpile. It was approximately 2cm wide. Awaiting advice on this one as there was nothing I could find on the internet nor in Fuhrer remotely resembling this fungus..








4 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Wow, You are having a great fungal season - after such a dry spell.
Your last two fungi images appear to have tiny insects or maybe "Collembola" on them. Seemingly some tiny purple things in the top right of the last image.
I cannot tell from the size of the image. you might be able to check the original images.
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks for that Denis, I will check. The insects were pretty small but it would be handy to know what they were.

We """may""" be in for some more rain over the weekend or early next week which should encourage more fungi. Unfortunately, I've been a bit busy this week and haven't had an opportunity to go hunting.

Gaye said...

hi JL,

your second picture is a Coprinus, quite possibly Coprinus cinereus:

http://australianfungi.blogspot.com/2007/03/6-coprinus-cinereus.html

Regards
Gaye

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks for that Gaye, I really appreciate your help and will amend record.