Sunday, July 6, 2008

Typhaceae

Or Cumbungi as it's commonly known.

Cumbungi has had a bad reputation over the years as a clogger of waterways amongst other things. However, I think Cumbungi is losing its reputation as an ogre as studies into its water purification capabilities are better understood, particularly industrial water polluters, such as mining sites, dairy and poultry farms. Other benefits are habitats it provides for waterfowl, frogs and insects.

Cumbungi is still considered a weed in both Tasmania and New South Wales, I believe.

I have this plant in a controlled environment - a pond. I actually stole my plant from someone else's dam! :-) This dam had the clearest water I've seen in a dam around here and the plants were behaving themselves down at one end!

The flower spikes always impress me.

(Click to enlarge)

2 comments:

Mosura said...

Always liked the stuff myself although I believe there is an introduced species in Tassie too which originates from Europe. Don't know if you get that one in Victoria.

Junior Lepid said...

I think we have three Typha species here. This one might be T.latifolia. I'll have to check which one is the European invader! :-)