Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Cymbidium Time!

Cymbidiums may not be everyone's cup of tea - but they are mine! I have about 60 pots of varying sizes and flowering time is always exciting.

These cymbidiums are not hybrids. They are stock from an original collection my mother had when she was quite young. The flowers are smaller than those of the hybrid and more delicate. Natural, if you like.

I think, in some cases, a lot of the natural beauty of plants has been lost due to hybridisation, let alone taste, if I extend my argument to cover vegetables, as another example.

(Click to enlarge)


Cymbidiums are tough. Mine have put up with little or no water during the hotter months for many years. These orchids love to be cramped in their pot and crammed close together. They prefer an easterly - n/e aspect and tolerate frost. These are growing off the ground (important) on sleepers under a Blackwood and Olive tree.

4 comments:

Mosura said...

Very nice! ...and a family heirloom too.

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Mosura. Yep, the heirloom factor is important. My mother would have committed murder to save her orchids! :-)

Denis Wilson said...

Interesting Cymbidium. It is good for me to compare my tiny wild Orchids with your larger flowers, and yet see obvious similarities, such as the structure at the top of the column, where the pollinia are hidden away.
Also, the labellum is quite hairy, almost spikey looking.
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Denis, there are similarities between most orchids, I think.

I love the natives too, but haven't had a chance to go stalking yet! :-)