Friday, July 11, 2008

July Fungi 3 (Part 1)


This was an interesting agaric growing close to
a Bolete on the side of the road.
Cap size: 4cm
Height: 3cm
Gills: White
Stem: White

UPDATE: (Thanks to Fungimap)
"looks like Amanita xanthocephala"



Location: Leaf litter under my Cymbidiums
Height: 9cm
Cap: 4cm
Gills: White
Slightly viscid. (In a dryish environment)
Probably Rooting Shank (Oudemansiella radicata)



Another Geastrum. This one was much
bigger than the others I've found.
Spore sac: 2.5cm
Height: 6cm
Found on the surface in mulch under Banks' Rose.
It's probably Geastrum pectinatum as it's located
in the same garden bed as other G. pectinatums.



UPDATE: (5/8/08)
Gymnopilus junonius showing bulbous stem and
remnant of membranous ring.
Cap width - 14cm


Location: Tree stump.
Probably Gymnopilus junonius.
(I'll take further notes as these mature!)

6 comments:

Mosura said...

The 3rd one really needs to have a face drawn on it. :-)

That last one on the tree stump is pretty neat. I saw some fungi today but instead of phohotographing it I just had a quick look and then went back to a nice warm car. Brrrrr....

Junior Lepid said...

LOL - well, I suppose I could have added an artistic flair to it, mosura! The interesting thing is all the Geastrums are in my garden. I've seen none in the bush block.

The Gymnophilus is only small at this stage. The largest measuring 3cm diameter. They will get a lot bigger. I'll try for a shot of the gills and stems as they grow.

Duncan said...

Nice fungi work JL, the better rainfall up your way is paying dividends. Dry and fungus poor here in Gippsland. For months Ive been searching fruitlessly for a Cordyceps gunnii to dig up and photograph with the unfortunate caterpillar attached. One day...

Junior Lepid said...

I know what you mean, Duncan. Back in May, I didn't think I'd be seeing any either. 2 inches from the last rain event and different ones are now emerging. Haven't found any "truffles" yet - and no animal excavations round the tree bases either - so perhaps they are not around here.

Gouldiae said...

G'day JL,
I second D's comment. I had a little wander this morning in a nearby favourite little gully - nothing. No fungi, no orchids, barely a bird.
Love that third one. Can't beat the fungi for variety. Great work.
Regards,
Gouldiae

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Gouldiae.

I must admit since I accepted the 'challenge' I've become quite fond of our fungi! If it's not too cold today, I might have another wander and check up on the progress of a few of these and also see if any new ones have emerged.