Monday, October 20, 2008

Pardalotus striatus Update

It's appropriate I post an update today because if I'm right, the chicks are one week old!

In this photo, the black square thing you can see (extreme right) is the plant tube tunnel leading to the nest.

There has been a huge amount of food ferried into the nest but I've been unable to grab a photo because the birds are far too quick! I've seen black things which might be caterpillars or millepedes going in.

At the moment, one adult remains with the young until the other returns. There is a quick exchange of Pardalote dialogue and the guard is then changed! :-)

This photo shows one parent ready for the other to arrive as it did a second or two later after this photo was taken.

(Click images to enlarge)


I hope the chicks make it to adulthood and I will keep you posted as to their progress.

By the way, I couldn't find the egg shells anywhere. These ones must have seen them off a fair distance from the nest. The Pardalotes that nested in my stable just dumped the shells on the floor beneath the nest.
__________________________________________

Memo to Denis ;-)

LepSIO has this premises under surveillance!



OK for those who don't know what I'm talking about, this is the Willie Wagtail nest in my Melaleuca. I would not have known the nest was there had I not seen a Wagtail picking up some nesting material from the lawn and then go straight to the nest. It is so well camouflaged on a branch high up in the tree. So far, the hen has still not begun to brood.

The reason LepSIO (me) is alert but not alarmed is because one of the Waggies whacked a butterfly I was observing who was looking to lay its eggs in some Mistletoe growing in the Melaleuca! :-)

6 comments:

Mosura said...

Excellent! Looking forward to the next installment.

Denis Wilson said...

Thanks for the Wagtail nest update.
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Thanks Mosura and Denis

The Pardalote babies are now vocal!

Plenty of heee heee heees as food is delivered!

I noticed another Pardalote female looking for a nesting site under the verandah this morning. Unfortunately, she's out of luck until I can find a safe position for another nest.

Denis Wilson said...

They are great little birds to have around your house. Well done.
I once saw one entering a 30mm drain pipe in a stone retaining wall. Clearly they used the pipe as an entrance, then built their own hollowed out nest on the far end. Quite adaptable, it seems.
Denis

Grace Garton said...

Hi, just found your blog via Mosura.

I've just started taking photo's of fungi from my garden and keen to know what type they are, If you would like to help out a little take a look at http://www.littleckickingcrow.blogspot.com
Any advice on taking fungi photo's for identification would be great too. I think I've spotted some similar ones on your blog but not sure.
Cheers
grace

Junior Lepid said...

Welcome Grace,

Fungi photography can be quite addictive!

Unfortunately, we have had almost no rain for the month of May so the fungi may have a late start this year.

I will nick over to your blog for a look. Thank you for the link.