Friday, July 24, 2009

July Fungi 2

I can't explain the excitement experienced when I stumble across a new species during my fungi hunts! Today was no exception when I came across a new Bird's Nest fungus. The stunning orange inner of the fruiting body is one thing; the fuzzy exterior is another!

(Click images to enlarge)

No. 1 Nidula emodensis showing peridioles immersed in water. As we know, Bird's Nest fungi rely on rain for spore dispersal. (A fortunate encounter today, I suspect!)


No. 2 Omphalotus nidiformis or Ghost fungus. Although obviously past its prime, this solitary example measured 24cm diameter.



No. 3. The beautiful, pristine white gills of this fungus was stunning. About 3cm in diameter. It might be Limacella pitereka.

No.4. Not 100% sure, but this may possibly be Marasmius elegans.
Cap width was around 3cm.
Corrections welcome, as per the norm!







4 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

I'm with you on the "new" fungi. Except I see many "new ones" which I fail to identify. That takes the thrill away.
Gaye from the Hunter has photos of that, or a very similar Birds Nest Fungus on her Fungi site. I get another one here - tiny - which looks more like it is woven of lattice.
Nice pure white gilled fungus.
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Hello Denis,

I went to Gaye's page when I was tripple-checking my own ID !! I love the Bird's Nests and it was sheer good fortune I found them. I decided to drive further along the goat track yesterday and these were beneath the firt tree I looked at!

I was in awe of the white one with the light brown umbo too.

I sympathise. I have a file of unidentified sightings! Hopefully, one day I'll find out what they are.

Denis Wilson said...

Hi JL
Thanks for the extra comments.
Gaye is a good researcher. I guessed you might have checked out her site, but thought I ought mention it ... just in case...
Cheers
Denis

Junior Lepid said...

Denis, as you know, there are few good fungi sites out there to help with identification (a bit like the moths in that regard!!) Sydney Fungal; Fungimap; Gaye's blog and a few others are frequently visited by me. Fungi study such a fascinating field.